Employment First Champion
An Employment First Champion is someone who goes above and beyond in supporting talent despite any perceived barriers to opportunities and possibilities. This person may or may not be a professional in the field. This person in every capacity is a leader and encourages those around them to see the potential in all people.
Do you know someone like this?
Employment First is...
- The belief that all citizens, including individuals with significant disabilities, are capable of full participation in integrated employment and community life. (DOL, ODEP)
- The belief that employment in the general workforce should be the first and preferred option for individuals with disabilities. (APSE)
- The right to competitive integrated employment.
- The right to earn a living.
Real jobs for real pay.
“Employment First is the next chapter in the civil rights of people with disabilities” – APSE
Employment First Movement
- Governor's Advisory Committee for People with Disabilities
- June 19, 2018 - Gov. Wolf's Employment 1st Policy Becomes Law
- June 19, 2018 - Employment First Act
- March 10, 2016 - Executive Order 2016-03,
Establishing 'Employment First' Policy and Increasing Competitive-Integrated Employment for Pennsylvanians with a Disability
Professional Development Opportunities
As a professional in the field of supporting people with disabilities, you know that there is constant change and movement. Be sure to keep on track and ahead by developing your skills, as well as knowledge. Two ways in which you can further your professional development are by obtaining the Basic Certificate in Employment Services (ACRE) or becoming a Certified Employment Support Professional (APSE). In Pennsylvania, there are requirements for professionals such as those delivering employment services and community participation through state waivers to have one of these in order to render services.
Upcoming local, regional, and virtual trainings and events
Know of a training not listed here? Submit information here
Other Professional Development Opportunities
- Become a Certified Work Incentive Coordinator
- Become a Certified Workforce Development Professional
- Marc Gold & Associates Certifications (Discovery, Job Development, Systematic Instruction)
- National Alliance for Direct Support Professionals (NADSP) Certification
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor CRC Certification
- Learn more about becoming an American Sign Language Interpreter
- Assistive Technology Professional (RESNA)
Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP):